Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Jurl Update, A Jupdate If You Will

Well, this one has been a long time coming. Some of you, those that haven't given up on me, may be wondering how the weight loss is going. It's going alright. I've lost almost 50 pounds and I have to say I feel so much better, mentally, physically, and soulfully. I still have at least 50 more to go, but my happiness factor has already increased by 100%.

Weight loss at 37 is somehow better than at 21. I think it's because I don't have to be perfect to feel better about myself. At 21 I wouldn't have gone sleeveless until my arms looked like withered twigs, but at 37 I'll just let those bat wings flap. Well, only when I was camping at the Reunion or running to pick-up the kids, I mean, I'm not completely crazy.

Another reason I think losing weight at this age is more satisfying is because I'm not looking around to see who's noticing my new self. I'm only interested in what I see in the mirror and what Husband might run into in the dark (No, dear, that's not a new pillow, that's my ass). I'm not saying that I don't care about feeling attractive, I'm just saying it's not the immature vanity of a 21 year old. Instead, it's the mature vanity of 37 year old. I don't need a man to tell me I'm hot (I'll just think he's telling me to wipe off my upper lip), I just need a jurlfriend to say I'm looking good or that my outfit is super cute. Satisfaction comes so much easier as a middle-aged woman than a young girl.

I'm starting to believe all those famous women who say life begins at 40. I assure you, I'm doing the best, bravest personal work of my life right now. (hint: deeply personal blog to come)

It's never too late to change your life, to let go of what weighs you down, to start new, to be brave, to be bold, to be still, to move on, to accept who you are, to understand who you are, to go after what you want, or whatever it is you think time has made irrelevant. Start today.

6 comments:

Kate's Mom said...

Good for you! I'm proud of you! Keep up the good work!

Bobono said...

I'm happy for you Jurl. I agree that you wouldn't have appreciated the "loss" as a "gain" when you were younger. No one sees anything clearly in their twenties (or sometimes 30s)! Here's to your lighter future, physically and mentally.

Bobono said...

You should, however, publish a before and after photo op so that your Jurlfriends can tell you how lovely you look!

TJ said...

Good job, but I also want photos. I am 34 and am starting to notice a mental difference from my twenties that feels good in a way I never expected. It's nice.

Elle Woods said...

Yea! You are looking good, Jurl. Keep the faith, as you are making awesome progress!

Bobono said...

Oh where oh where has our little jurl gone? Oh where oh where can she be?